52% intelligent. 9% modest. More monkey than bear.

Friday, April 04, 2008

You need a light, I'd find a match...

A full week. Can you believe that? After the Easter bank holidays, it's back to a routine of five whole days of doing my damndest to look as busy as possible whilst actually doing as little as possible. I wish. Anyway, it's all over now and the weekend is here. Let there be rejoicing, and may I please stop earworming a crappy Oasis song as a result of a project at work glorying under the name "Masterplan". Grr. Work impinges enough on my braintime without cueing stuff up on my internal jukebox too.

And relax. C. is back from Russia, I've a beer on the go and it's sausages for tea. How bad can life really be?

This evening's guest editor is another longstanding friend of this blog.... what started out as an attempt to pick a fight with some strange American girls from somewhere called "Wisconsin" on some blog somewhere has turned into something a whole lot more rewarding. For starters, I don't know anyone else who does yoga in extreme temperatures, so if I ever want to know what that's like, then I know exactly who to ask. What on earth would I have done in the days before the internet, eh? How did we survive? How did we make friends?

Anyway. She's a gem, and I hear that she's got a passport in the pipeline... so who knows, perhaps Europe will be lucky enough to experience her first hand at some point in the near future?

Ladies and Gentleworms, without further ado, it is my great pleasure to introduce for your earworming pleasure.... the one, the only....

Earworms of the Week - Guest Editor #82 - J from Unjuicier Gossip

[I can never remember if her blog URL is supposed to be secret or not, so I'm erring on the safe side]

I think this is the third time that I’ve done earworms here. I’m not sure whether “three strike’s and you’re out” or “third time’s the charm” applies to these, but I personally think all of the following earworms are preferable to “Holla Back Girl” and “London Bridge” which appeared on my first and second attempt, respectively. Additionally, I’ve avoided earworming New Kids on the Block this week, so that’s progress!

1. She Don’t Use Jelly - The Flaming Lips

This song has been in my head for months, to be honest. Whether it’s the rhyming or the rhythm, I can’t get away from it.

2. Umbrella – Marie Digby

Despite the fact that I detested the Rhianna version of this song, I really dig the Digby version (sorry, couldn’t resist that one). She does a beautiful job with the lyrics, and as I type this, I’m waiting for the rain to start. No wonder it is in my head. (On that note, Kelly Sweet’s “Raincoat” is another song that I’m thinking of right now due to the weather, but it’s late arrival doesn’t really qualify it as an earworm of the week).

3. I’m Sticking With You – The Velvet Underground

Quite a few of my friends are current gaga for the Juno soundtrack, which means I’ve been hearing this a lot lately. As an aside, the chorus of this song makes me clearly recall a moment standing in line in the third grade when a brilliant male classmate pulled out the line “I’m rubber and you’re glue, whatever I say bounces off me and sticks to you.”

4. Tonight – Kate Walsh

There’s something hauntingly beautiful about her voice singing the lyrics “and I don’t care, I don’t care if you love me….tonight we’ll leave our troubles behind.” Oh if only it were that simple!

5. Shirt – Peter Mulvey

This is my “walking to work song.” Almost every time I walk to work, this song runs through my head. Fortunately, it at least has a beat with a pace you can walk to..if I had to walk to work with “Tonight” in my head, I might never get there!

6. Steady As She Goes - The Raconteurs

This song has a steady, repetitive beat, and that is probably why it easily gets stuck in my head. It doesn’t hurt that I’m endlessly amused by the line “You've had too much to think, now you need a wife.”

7. Fluorescent Adolescent – Arctic Monkeys

The other day at work, I was in uber-productive mode and this was playing. Since then, I’ve found myself humming it. Repeatedly. For the record, I’m generally not a, er, hummer…

8. Tired of Waiting for You – The Kinks

I’ve been singing this song while getting ready in the morning. “Please don’t keep-ah me waitin’” is probably what my friends, clients, and professors are thinking, because it takes me a long time to put on mascara when I have to wait till the end of a verse!

9. The Underdog – Spoon

I am currently being beaten up by four term papers, five courses, a federal appellate case, my normal caseload, and attempting to do yoga in a room heated to 105 degrees. Sometimes a girl needs a motto. I am the underdog. If you’ve got no fear of me, you will not survive.

10. The Way I Am - Ingrid Michaelson

Although this song is now getting a lot of radio play, it had been getting quite a bit of play in my iTunes for months. The chorus gets stuck in my head, as well as a few of the verses. Fortunately, the part that I earworm doesn’t include the portion about buying Rogaine. Some words just don’t need to be put to music. Ever.

And that wraps up my earworms for the week. Hopefully I’ve not left you with anything too horrible stuck in your head!

----

Thank you J! Third time is clearly a gift, with another fine list and another American guest editor introducing me to bands I have never heard of before who are apparently massive (although I do like the anglo-influence here too....). Besides, how could I possibly get bored of hosting a future leading light in American politics? Hillary Clinton be damned, I know where my money's at for the first female President of the USA. It's a touch unfortunate that your chosen lyric reminds of the people I know who keep a box of matches in their toilet to, you know, ward off unpleasant smells.... but you can't have everything, right? And I'm sure that's not what the lyricist had in mind when they wrote the song.

Hmmm.

And with that mildy unpleasant mental image, I think I'll leave you.

Have a good weekend, y'all. And if you're getting up early on Sunday morning and fervently pressing the 'refresh' button in the hope of getting some Glastonbury tickets... then good luck to you and hopefully see you all down the farm in June.....

Coming up: YokoSpungeon (11/4), Rol (18/4)......then you? Drop me an email.... you know you want to. It's either that or me and some dubious 1980s heavy metal.

[Previous Guest Editors: Flash, The Urban Fox, Lord Bargain, Retro-Boy, Statue John, Ben, OLS, Ka, Jenni, Aravis, Yoko, Bee, Charlie, Tom, Di, Spin, The Ultimate Olympian, Damo, Mike, RedOne, The NumNum, Leah, Le Moine Perdu, clm, Michael, Hyde, Adem, Alecya, bytheseashore, adamant, Earworms of the Year 2005, Delrico Bandito, Graham, Lithaborn, Phil, Mark II, Stef, Kaptain Kobold, bedshaped, I have ordinary addictions, TheCatGirlSpeaks, Lord B rides again, Tina, Charlie II, Cody Bones, Poll Star, Jenni II, Martin, Del II, The Eye in the Sky, RussL, Lizzy's Hoax, Ben II, Earworms of the Year 2006, Sarah, Flash II, Erika, Hen, Pynchon, Troubled Diva, Graham II, Cat II, Statue John II, Sweeping the Nation, Aravis II, Olympian II, C, Planet-Me, Mike, Michael II, Eye in the Sky II, Charlie III, The Great Grape Ape, asta, Ben III, Earworms of the Year 2007, Cat III, JamieS & Wombat, Pynchon II, Briskate, Craig Cliff, Fiery Little Sod, Cody II]

Labels:

3 Comments:

  • At 1:58 am, Blogger Cody Bones said…

    Excellent list J, I especially like Underdog, and Steady as she goes. I'm going to have to listen to the others as well. Not that there is another 2112 in there, but it seems you did your best. Thanks for playing, and as usual ST, thanks for hosting.

     
  • At 7:07 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Thanks, Cody!

    I'm shocked that I know bands you haven't heard of, ST. I didn't think was possible!

     
  • At 12:40 am, Blogger Ben said…

    Any luck with Glasto tickets?

     

Post a Comment

<< Home